On-Target Applicant Background Investigations
Who should attend this course:
- Anyone who is involved or supervises recruiting and background investigations for their agency including sworn officers,
- Human Resources, or
- Anyone wanting a better knowledge of the hiring process.
This course is designed to provide personnel with the skills and knowledge of how to recruit, hire and retain quality personnel for their law enforcement agency.
Participants will leave with the skills and knowledge of the importance of not only recruiting but also retention of quality personnel. It is just as important to keep the best people as it is to hire quality personnel. An organizational assessment should be the first step in the process and the need to break the cycle of mediocrity.
Background investigators will leave with the knowledge of their role in the selection process, the legal aspects of the background investigation, background interview sources of information and preparing the investigation report. Background investigations affect the future of an organization in many ways, thus selection practices are vital to ensuring that future law enforcement employees and supervisors are suited for the variety of duties expected from the populations they serve. This course will provide techniques, procedures and sample forms for the background investigator.
- The importance of a recruiting plan
- Exploring an applicant’s military history
- Assessment of you organization
- Pre-interview procedures
- Organization wellness
- Job-related inquiries
- What type of employees do you want
- Online data bases/social networking sites
- Marketing and selling your organization
- Websites and additional sources of information
- Thinking long term about recruitment
- Polygraph questions/usage
- Professional standards model for backgrounds
- Psychological and behavioral testing
- Why background investigations are necessary
- Candidate interview techniques
- Sources of information/Investigative techniques
- Reference interview techniques
- Conflicts vs. responsibilities for investigators
Each time this seminar is offered, details such as dates, time, location, registration fees, continuing education units (CEUs) offered and relevant instructor information will be available on the registration form found in the calendar.