Responding to Anxiety Disorders
Police officers are called to handle a variety of issues throughout the country. One of the types of calls often handled involve a person who is suffering from anxiety symptoms and are in crisis. Statistics show that 18 percent of the population experience an anxiety disorder in any one year. When a person is experiencing a mental health crisis, it can extremely frightening and difficult for them. Often times family and friends are not equipped or able to handle these type of situations, and it leaves them to call upon emergency personnel to respond.
The goal of this program is to provide the student with a better understanding of what anxiety disorders are the affects on the individual experiencing them. This program will also give some ideas of handling calls that involve individuals who have a mental illness or cognitive impairment.
This program is part two of a five-part series that discusses issues of responding to calls that involve persons with a mental illness. This course covers the POST topical requirement of “Handling persons with mental health and cognitive impairment issues” as part of the core curricula area of Interpersonal Perspectives.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive one (1) hour of continuing education credit in the area of "Handling persons with mental health and cognitive impairment issues" as part of the core curricula are of interpersonal studies. The fee for this course is $10. Payment will be collected during the enrollment process.
If you have any questions, please call us at 800-825-6505 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missouri POST License
You will need your POST license number to enroll in and complete this course. If you do not know your license number, click here for instructions. If you already know your number, continue to Enrolling in the course.
Enrolling in the course
- Click here to enroll.
- On the first page, click the "Enroll" button at the bottom.
- You will be presented with a page that asks you to create a passport or enter a username and password.
- If you do not have an extension passport, click the “Create Passport” button.
- This runs you through two pages and will create your passport and enroll you.
- You will receive a confirmation page stating you have enrolled.
- Follow that link and bookmark it. It will be the Moodle site login page.
- There are instructions on the site home page that will tell you how to get to the actual course.