21st Century Policing Online
The “Fair and impartial policing perspective” reflects a new way of thinking about the issue of biased policing. It is based on the science of bias, which tells us that biased policing is not, as some contend, due to widespread racism and other prejudices in policing. In fact, the science tells that even well-intentioned humans (and thus, officers) manifest biases that can impact their perceptions and behavior.
This 21st Century Policing course is a follow up to the Unbiased Policing Online program. In 21st Century Policing, we present various biases, particularly implicit bias and how to recognize those biases. We also address the need to recognize our unconscious biases, so we can implement unbiased behavior. Ideas are provided on handling gut reactions. We also discuss how to address and reduce our own implicit biases. Fair and impartial policing is the goal and skills to achieve that goal are presented.
The implication of the science is that even the best law enforcement officers may manifest bias because they are human, and even the best agencies because they hire humans, must be proactive in producing fair and impartial policing. This course covers the POST topical requirement of “Fair and impartial policing practices including implicit bias recognition” as part of the core curricula area of Interpersonal Perspectives.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive one (1) hour of continuing education credit in the area of fair and impartial policing practices including implicit bias recognition for interpersonal studies. The fee for this course is $15. Payment will be collected during the enrollment process.
If you have any questions, please call us at 800-825-6505 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missouri POST License
You will need your POST license number to enroll in and complete this course. If you do not know your license number, click here for instructions. If you already know your number, continue to Enrolling in the course.
Enrolling in the course
- Click here to enroll.
- On the first page, click the "Enroll" button at the bottom.
- You will be presented with a page that asks you to create a passport or enter a username and password.
- If you do not have an extension passport, click the “Create Passport” button.
- This runs you through two pages and will create your passport and enroll you.
- You will receive a confirmation page stating you have enrolled.
- Follow that link and bookmark it. It will be the Moodle site login page.
- There are instructions on the site home page that will tell you how to get to the actual course.